Author Topic: Overwriting Default Values  (Read 2277 times)

May 19, 2015, 01:48:21 PM
Read 2277 times

simmond4

• Information
    • View Profile
I'm working on a software mod to add more content to the game. I've found it's quite simple to "add" to an existing software (additional feature or dependency) but I haven't yet figured out how to overwrite values that are written into the game.

My first (terrible) attempt was just converting the resources.asset into an xml, editing the SoftwareType, then converting back to .asset - however, I found a bunch of random dialog boxes open when I started, my default character had 3 jacket options, but was completely nude... and the New Game function wouldn't start. So, bad idea.

I then made a second small attempt to create a duplicate (how I got the ability to add features and the like) but then just change something simple, like the description. No dice, description stays the same. So, figured I'd throw this out to the community to see if someone can stop me from reinventing the wheel. Thanks a ton!

May 19, 2015, 02:06:28 PM
Reply #1

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
I'm working on a modding guide at http://swinc.net/wiki/index.php?title=Modding

It's not done yet, but there is some info about overwriting software types.

May 20, 2015, 09:37:13 AM
Reply #2

simmond4

• Information
    • View Profile
Just looked at the link...

This is the root tag, which all tags should be a child to. If this tag has the attribute Override="True", all tags are optional and will override the content of a software type by the same name. You can use this to override some values of the built-in software types. Note that if you override the Features tag, you will delete all features from the software type.

Ding ding ding ding! Awesome thanks man!

May 21, 2015, 01:19:27 PM
Reply #3

simmond4

• Information
    • View Profile
Well, I got things working with the override, and after getting the whole dependency thing worked out for loading (it won't allow the mod to be loaded if removing a software or feature breaks a dependency) I've gotten certain base software removed, and other rewritten, but now I'm stuck again. I've been trying to remove/edit features from the "Operating System" SoftwareType, but it doesn't seem to allow it. I want to do a bit of a restructure with the features (i.e. it has a "64-bit feature", but I want to now actually make a "32-bit kernel" feature that is default, that you can later overwrite with a "64-bit kernel", just like having different bit rate audio features rather than "PC Speaker", to "8 bit Audio" to "HD Audio".

Does anyone know a trick to get this altered? Khornel - is OS software hardcoded to always be defaulted? Is there a way to make this not hard coded, so to speak?

May 25, 2015, 08:42:10 AM
Reply #4

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
It should work. Could you send the mod to SoftwareInc@Coredumping.com so I could have a look?