Author Topic: Having trouble applying my mod  (Read 2529 times)

April 04, 2015, 05:13:51 PM
Read 2529 times

MrFungusEli

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey,

This is both a modding topic and a bit of an introduction of myself.

I tried making a simple mod using your test mod (just filled in the blanks) that adds a new software type - Spreadsheet software. I tried adding it to the game but I'm having difficulty doing so. Currently, I can load up a new game - and the game recognizes the mod (TestMod), but there are no new software types added.

• I'm using Alpha 1.
  • The mod is located at "Alpha1Directory\Mods\TestMod
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 05:19:42 PM by MrFungusEli »

April 06, 2015, 05:28:30 PM
Reply #1

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
Hi,

The testmod actually has a bug due to additions in the alpha 1. I can't update it because my web hosting providers are crapping out, so I can't access the site's FTP server. Software types need a "Category" tag, which explains what category the software belongs to, like "Gaming" or "Graphics". Furthermore, the "Year" tag in scenarios is being expanded in the upcoming patch, to "Years", with sub "Year" elements, such that you can choose different starting years per scenario, e.g.
Code: [Select]
<Years>
    <Year>1980</Year>
    <Year>1985</Year>
</Years>

I will release a patch later today, which adds error messages to mod loading code, so you can pinpoint exactly where the problem lies.

Good luck! We don't actually have high schools in my country, but I'm finishing my bachelor in computer science the 20. of this month. If it is anything like it is in my country, you won't really need to know any HTML and CSS, since they are markup languages, which generally don't have any "control". I don't know what your goal is, but if you don't want to be a researcher at a university or something equivalent, you should spend a lot of your time practicing your programming skills on the side, they probably won't spend that much time on the practical side of computer science. With that said, what I've learned at university has been completely invaluable.

April 06, 2015, 11:40:13 PM
Reply #2

MrFungusEli

• Information
    • View Profile
Quote from: khornel
Hi,

The testmod actually has a bug due to additions in the alpha 1. I can't update it because my web hosting providers are crapping out, so I can't access the site's FTP server. Software types need a "Category" tag, which explains what category the software belongs to, like "Gaming" or "Graphics". Furthermore, the "Year" tag in scenarios is being expanded in the upcoming patch, to "Years", with sub "Year" elements, such that you can choose different starting years per scenario, e.g.
Code: [Select]
<Years>
    <Year>1980</Year>
    <Year>1985</Year>
</Years>

I will release a patch later today, which adds error messages to mod loading code, so you can pinpoint exactly where the problem lies.

Thanks for the patch, it helped and my mod works now  :)

Quote from: khornel
Good luck! We don't actually have high schools in my country, but I'm finishing my bachelor in computer science the 20. of this month. If it is anything like it is in my country, you won't really need to know any HTML and CSS, since they are markup languages, which generally don't have any "control". I don't know what your goal is, but if you don't want to be a researcher at a university or something equivalent, you should spend a lot of your time practicing your programming skills on the side, they probably won't spend that much time on the practical side of computer science. With that said, what I've learned at university has been completely invaluable.
http://www.hint.no/) where I can study for a Bachelors in Game Design. If you don't mind me asking, what school are you attending to? Or do you know of any other schools (preferably in Scandinavia) which teach Game Development or atleast Computer Science with some connection to game development?

Hav det godt!

April 07, 2015, 12:52:41 AM
Reply #3

khornel

• Dev
  • Information
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Software Inc
http://www.hint.no/) where I can study for a Bachelors in Game Design. If you don't mind me asking, what school are you attending to? Or do you know of any other schools (preferably in Scandinavia) which teach Game Development or atleast Computer Science with some connection to game development?

Hav det godt!
I'm studying at the University of Copenhagen, it's pretty tough, almost 50% drop out during the first year of the computer science programme, and I feel like I would've been one of them if I hadn't been programming in my spare time for 10 years prior to applying. But the theoretical knowledge has been critical in improving my skills, I also got a lot of low level knowledge, which has helped me in writing optimized code. The IT-University of Copenhagen has a masters programme in Game Technology http://www.itu.dk/en/Uddannelser/Study-Programmes/MSc-in-Games, I don't know much about it, but I was considering attending if I decide to actually continue my education at some point in the future.
I also noticed another school in Sweden some time ago: http://www.thegameassembly.com/