Author Topic: Rebalanced location costs, trade-offs, and self-sufficiency  (Read 143 times)

March 14, 2019, 07:15:16 PM
Read 143 times

happysmash27

• Information
    • View Profile
Currently, getting a building plot costs about the same weather rural, urban, or suburban: $50,000. This is unrealistic, as rural locations often cost far less and urban locations often cost far more. I'm not sure of the exact costs, but many rural locations I have seen in deserts cost less than $10,000 for acres of land.

To be balanced, there should be advantages and disadvantages for different locations. More urbanised locations, for example, should be more expensive for land use, but less expensive for internet, with much faster internet available. They should also have more hiring options than rural locations. Individual employees may or may not be willing to move.

To reduce cost, it may also be useful for one to provide their own utilities if needed. For example, one could have solar panels and wind turbines which would provide a fixed amount of power for some upfront cost and a small amount of maintainence, useful in rural areas with low utility availability or for reducing long-term cost. If insufficient power was available, things would stop working. Water wells for tempurate environments and rain capture barrels for deserts could perhaps be used for water, although rain barrels wouldn't be super effective, so buying water in the desert may make more sense if water lines were available.

Rural internet is sometimes barely available, or only available in extremely slow speeds. For this reason, an interesting feature in-game would be the ability for one to build their own internet lines, for a high up-front expense, to an ISP. If different ISPs were implemented, changing them could get very expensive due to needing either a new line, or needing to move/expand the existing one. For more internet to be available, new lines would need to be made. Higher-capacity lines would be available over time.

Other weird self-sufficiency options would be good too, like the ability to train employees for tasks like IT and in rural locations, maybe even the ability to farm. This isn't necessary for the core idea though; it is just an expansion on it.

I may update this later to better flesh this idea out, but for now, I must do another task.

There are no comments for this topic. Do you want to be the first?